Skip to main content

How to Avoid Unnecessary College Applications Stress


Coming from an international high school, I was surrounded by high performing students eager to get into top US and UK universities. During our lunch breaks, there would be a different admissions consultant who would give talks about universities and its application processes.

These admissions experts would provide student consultation, clarifying any questions or concerns we have about getting into our dream college. 

My High School Background

During the entirety of my high school life, I was the kind of student that finished their homework and projects days in advance. I did not see the point of procrastination; for me, it was just delaying stress. Academically, my grades were strong. I was a consistent high honors student and I was taking the most difficult classes offered by my high school.

I took the IB Diploma, which I was predicted to get a 43. I also took AP US History, the only AP class my high school had at the time. I also had a strong SAT score, which I accomplished by doing as many practice tests as I could.

My extracurricular activities were admittedly not as plentiful as my peers’. While my fellow students inundated their schedules with a range of extracurriculars, I occupied my time as a member of  the Fine Arts Council and the secretary of the Photography Club. Artistic more than athletic, I knew that my interests were in the arts.

However, I wanted to push myself and while it was a challenge for me, I joined JV soccer. While building a strong college application is important, it is equally valuable to explore activities that genuinely interest and inspire you.

Applying to Berkeley

I still vividly remember when the college admissions team from the University of California came. The PA system announced that they were giving a talk about the nine UC campuses that admit undergraduates. I was excited; more than getting the free pen and school banner, I took all the university application consulting I could get.

When the university admissions team began to present the specialties and advantages of each campus, I had my sight set on UC Davis. While I was a studious student, my college admissions counselor labelled UC Berkeley a “reach” school.

Similar to the Common App, the UC network had their own application system. It was integrated, which made applying to an additional campus relatively easy. I took a chance and ticked the box that said Berkeley. While most university application deadlines were in late December, even January, I remember the UC system being one of the early ones that was due in November. 

The Waiting Game

In late December, after a few application deadlines had passed, I realized that I did not send my SAT scores to the colleges I applied to. This was an unnecessary burden to an already incredibly stressful and nerve-racking time. I scrambled to send my SAT scores, but being the anxious person that I was, I convinced myself that I was not going to get accepted into any school because of a technicality.

It all turned out to be okay but it was an avoidable additional stress. I first heard back from UC Davis but eventually decided on UC Berkeley. My four years studying Architecture in the top public university in the US was an amazing, enriching experience. If I had one advice for you, it would be to thoroughly read all the application material.

If you can, seek school admissions counseling services to ensure that you are presenting yourself in the best possible light and hitting all the necessary application requirements then reach out Helppo they help students get admission in their dream universities as well as online tutoring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How My College Application Essay Got Me Into Stanford University

The college application essay: it’s probably the #1 biggest hurdle facing a high schooler applying to college. At least, it was for me. I wrote and rewrote my essay fifty times over, adding and then deleting whole paragraphs as often as I changed clothes. Every day it felt like I was approaching a different beast… and I didn’t even have a college admissions consultant to help me! How I tacked the college application essay: What I ended up with was more of a story than an essay. It was the story of how I taught myself to code. I taught myself to code computer games – mostly because I liked to play things like Super Mario Bros. and I wanted to design my own levels. But I told it like a story. I explained how I took the task in front of me, and broke it down. I conquered small parts. I made many side projects that also contributed to my knowledge of coding – before I designed my capstone project: my own version of The Legend of Zelda. I got lucky; I did what a college admissions consultan

7 Benefits of Online Learning

Unlike the classic way of learning - chalkboard, whiteboards, and having notes on your notebook, modern technology-driven learning is more effective. The continuous research and development have made the process more interactive, engaging so that learners can understand the core concept and its applications with ease in less time. eLearning boasts 3D videos, models, and simulations and in the future, you can see AR, VR, AI & Machine Learning doing great in teaching. Here are the 7 benefits of eLearning: 1. Cost-effective eLearning platforms offer courses at a very cost-effective price. Learn from the best professionals in your budget. 2. Time-Saving It saves your commute time, just switches on your PC/Laptop and log in to your online learning platform. 3. Flexible Unlike offline learning classes, where you have given your time slot, you have the freedom to choose your slot, learn at your pace, learn at your time. 4. Scalable Online courses are easy to update and modify according to

10 Most Common UK & US Visa Rejection Reasons 2021

Avoid these Mistakes while Applying for a UK and US Visa. Visa application is one of the dream come true for many of us and a single mistake can lead it to the rejection. Therefore it is better to understand the common mistakes that are carried out again and again. Read carefully and apply with mistake free form. 1. Mistakes in Application Form Fill your form correctly, review twice and get it checked with someone who has gone through the process or your consultant. 2. Sudden Large Deposits Avoid huge deposits in a short time, maintain your account balance in advance to justify the large amount of deposits. 3. Visa Category Choose it wisely, consult to avoid refusal. 4. Missing Document Re-check and verify your documents and submit them in time. 5. Previous Immigration History Non disclosing previous immigration can lead you to the visa rejection. 6. Document Format Provide documents in a prescribed format as per the requirements of the Home office. 7. Incorrect Documents Always provid